Sunday, September 4, 2011

Things I'll Never Buy Again

The sun has been shining and the Roma tomatoes were on sale.  Perfect combination for making homemade sun dried tomatoes.  I decided to do mine in slices.  I laid them all out on the cookie sheets and drizzled them with a little olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of salt.  I covered them with a layer of cheesecloth to keep any bugs or birds away, and then let the sun do the rest.

Since James started eating them like chips, I either had to start whacking his hand with a wooden spoon, or make some more.  Of course, as soon as I had them all cut and on the sheets, the weather took a turn for fall.  With temps in the high 60's the tomatoes weren't drying so fast.  
Into the oven they went.  I set it for my lowest setting (in my oven's case - 170 degrees) and just checked in every now and then.


The other thing I won't buy - salad dressings.  They really are so easy to make, and since I make enough to last just a few meals, I don't have to worry about all the preservatives that I can't pronounce.  We start with balsamic or red wine vinegar, add some garlic, shallots, lemon juice and salt.  If you let it sit for a bit before you add your extra-virgin olive oil, the acid in the vinegar and lemon break down the pungency of the garlic.  You can do it to your own taste but a good start is 1:2.  I put it all in a small Mason jar and when it is time for salad, I just give it a couple good shakes.

I can't believe we never did this before.  I tell you - I won't go back to the processed stuff!

(Homemade sauce will be another day!)

6 comments:

  1. Yesterday was 90 and summer. Today is 60 and autumn. Haven't done sun-dried tomatoes in a while - love having them all winter. Salad dressings? I make my own the family still goes to the fridge for Ranch - what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Okay...so I bought all of my tomatoes and I'm ready to get started! How long did yours take? Yum - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't use oil. Just lay them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. I start mine at 200 degrees and leave the oven cracked (it'll humidify your kitchen, but makes it go faster). You'll see when they are starting to dry. I turned mine over and turned my oven as low as it would go (170) and just checked in on them every so often.
    I just bought 22 lbs of tomatoes and made a huge bunch for Christmas presents. They are in bags in the freezer and right before I will saute a little garlic and pack them with the garlic oil and fresh basil in mason jars with a pretty little ribbon. :)
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an oil and vinegar fiend (or lemon and oil) but the kids always had a thing for Ranch dressing - from the bottle. So that's the dressing I buy. But am happy - because in general - buy few processed foods. Ever notice that almost all coupons are for processed foods?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog and allowing me to find yours. You did a great job on these sun-dried tomatoes. I agree with you - why buy them (or salad dressing?) when you can make better ones at home?

    ReplyDelete