Saturday, September 3, 2011

Healthy! Fun! Life!

With the temperatures dropping out of the upper 90s, I was able to give in to my need to bake!   And bake I did.  Once I finished, I realized that my baking actually represented the title of this blog.

First, I made whole wheat bread.  I even dug out the grain mill to grind my own flour.  It has been so long since I have made bread, that I made one mistake and the loaves weren’t as beautiful as normal – but still yummy. 
090211 Baking day (2)
So, there is the “healthy” part.

The next part was just "fun"!  My kids love cinnamon rolls and usually they are only on a special occasion table – a must for Easter and Christmas mornings! 
090211 Baking day (5)

And here is the Italian bread I made.
090211 Baking day (11)

What does bread have to do with “life”?  In the Bible, Jesus says “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst” (John 6:35).    So bread is referred to as a part of our spiritual life.  And in Exodus, when Moses was leading the children of Israel out of Egypt.  They are tired and hungry, and God provides a kind of bread (manna) to sustain them.

For us, this bread represents life as a family.  A time to gather together and connect; to build relationships that will last a lifetime; to eat a meal that not only nourishes our bodies, but our souls as well.

And maybe, just maybe, that is why I am renewed by baking for my friends or family.

1 comment:

  1. We are ion the 60's. You are putting me to shame. The homemade breads (healthy and fun) are enticing - your family is luckier than mine this weekend.

    ReplyDelete