Friday, July 22, 2011

Lessons Learned

"Illnesses do not come upon us out of the blue. They are developed from small daily sins against nature. When enough sins have accumulated, illnesses will suddenly appear.” – Hippocrates

Yesterday morning I woke up and started thinking.  Bad thing to do.  I started thinking about money and where it needed to go and what we had to do next and, and, and….  And I started feeling so stressed.

I hadn’t even gotten out of bed, and I wanted to crawl back in and stay all day.  So, contrary to my nature, I decided to exercise.  Nothing spectacular.  I knew I had some 10 minute workouts on my Netflix queue.  I figured a little Pilates would take my mind off things and set me right for the day.  

The perky trainer said I should start with abs because it would be a good start for any other exercises I wanted to do.  Funny, I believed her.  BUT, I did realize two things.  1) I have abs.  2) they have forgotten what exercise is.  I was so glad that the rest of the family was still sleeping so they didn’t have to see (hear) me slugging through the exercises.  

One thing I also learned – I was right.  I did feel better.  I had decided once again to make a positive decision in a crazy moment.  After I was done, I told James that if I didn’t start doing something for myself, some things were going to start happening to myself.  I know the effects of stress can add problems to health that could otherwise be avoidable. Later that morning, I came across the quote above, and knew once again that I had made the right choice. 

Baby steps are, in fact, still steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment