Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Not All Pizzas Are Bad

We have done some pretty big pizza feeds at our house.  The most recent being 26 people, and that was only my brother's family, my sister's family, and mine!  Yes, we are Italian.  No, we are not Catholic.  :)

We did some crazy pizzas that day.  In fact, we did 11 pizzas and focaccias for all of us.  Not gonna lie, not all them were low fat, low carb or low anything for that matter.  But all yummy!  We had enough pizza that leftovers on the back deck at 11pm with just my brother's family was as delightful as the company.

My family loves pizza (back to that Italian thing, I guess), but I don't always like all the calories that American pizza carries.  So, the other night I made 2 pizzas for our family.  (The two big kids were camping with friends, so 2 was enough)  One was pepperoni.  The pepperoni was good, but we figured that by stepping up to a nicer pepperoni we would be getting all the flavor with less pepperoni, but save ourselves some calories.  I didn't go crazy with the sauce or cheese either.

The other was more traditional.  Olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, basil and Parmesan cheese.

Both were on a thin crusts.  By doing that, I can control the crunch on the crust and not just have thick bread.  If I want bread, I'll make bread.  But pizza deserves to have its flavors stand on their own.  If you make a thick crust, you have to add more toppings in order to taste something besides bread.

So, have some pizza (unless you have gluten issues), just don't supersize me.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment